Thursday, March 1, 2018

Out of the Straightjacket

Michael S. Weinstein, M.D., M.B.E.
N Engl J Med 2018; 378:793-795

This is the narrative of a trauma surgeon who has a history of major depressive illness.  He tells it as it was; including his psychiatric hospitalization, electroconvulsive therapy, and recovery.  In some ways, this is a restitution story.

Dr. Weinstein addresses important areas we’d rather not face.

We often make decisions in the face of uncertainty that deeply affect our patients’ lives. When things went wrong, I frequently blamed myself. I learned that doubt, ignorance, and lack of confidence were my own failings.”

“Though I had mental illness, I still saw it as a weakness, a personal fault. I remember early in my career hearing of a colleague who took a leave of absence for a “nervous breakdown.” I joked about it, said he was weak. Now it was my turn.”

“I wanted out, out of work and out of life. I wished I would get hit by a car, and sometimes took steps to increase my risk. I felt trapped in my work and worried that I would expose my shortcomings if I sought a leave or disclosed my feelings. I’ve subsequently learned that my colleagues were quite concerned about me but found me unreceptive to attempts to help. I was trying to get help in many ways, but nothing seemed to work.”


This is an important topic.  We’d rather not acknowledge it.  The best-selling author, Sherwin Nuland, was a surgeon who similarly was hospitalized for major depression.  He chronicled that in his autobiography, “Lost in America.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

In 1885, when John Shaw Billings started the database which would, over time, morph into PubMed he recognized the hopelessness o...