Friday, June 1, 2018

Death is no longer just in the hands of god or fate, but often a decision

"On 30 October 2017 I had just landed at Heathrow from Melbourne. I had the strangest feeling I should not go directly to bed. I wondered if I should visit my mother, Margaret Black, a 92 year old retired anaesthetist living very independently in a warden assisted housing complex in Kent. At midday I got a call from my sister—mum had developed abdominal pain, pressed the alarm button, and phoned her GP. Could I go?

There is much discussion about the right of an individual to die, but not enough about the role of relatives and friends"  Dr. Black's essay is powerfully resonant with our lives.

Black ME. Death is no longer just in the hands of god or fate, but often a decision.  BMJ. 2018 May 22;361:k2217.
Full BMJ article

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

In 1885, when John Shaw Billings started the database which would, over time, morph into PubMed he recognized the hopelessness o...